Why Is My PS4 Fan Loud? 6 Ways How To Fix It!
As a Play Station gamer, you know how crucial it is to have a reliable and high-performance gaming console. The PS4 is undoubtedly one of the most popular gaming consoles available, thanks to its powerful processor, impressive graphics, and large memory. It offers an extensive range of features that meet your specific gaming needs. However, you may encounter a problem with a loud fan over time.
While it’s common for a gaming console to produce a certain level of noise, a loud fan can be a sign of underlying issues that need attention. In this article, we’ll explore six reasons why your PS4 fan may be making a lot of noise. By understanding the root cause of the problem, you can take the necessary steps to address it and enjoy uninterrupted gaming sessions. So, let’s start!
What Is My PS4 fan so loud? The PS4 fan can become loud due to the accumulation of dust inside the console. Dust can enter the console through small holes and settle on internal components. As more dust accumulates, the fan has to work harder to cool down the console, resulting in a louder noise. Regular cleaning can prevent this.
One issue that many PS4 owners have reported is a loud fan. There are several reasons why this might be happening, but the most common one is that PlayStation is working too hard to keep itself cool. This is primarily due to the dust that has accumulated inside the device.
Why Is My PS4 Fan So Loud?
As a PS4 user, you’re probably familiar with the hardware problems that can occur over time. One common issue is a loud fan, which is an essential part of your console’s ventilation system. The built-in fans are designed to regulate the console’s temperature and prevent it from overheating.
However, if you hear loud fan noise, there could be several reasons why this is happening. Let’s take a closer look at what might be causing the problem.
- Dust: Dust accumulation inside the console is one of the reasons why your PS4 fan is so loud. While it’s easy to clean the exterior of your console, the dust inside your PS4 may go unnoticed.
- Graphics-heavy games: Games that require 4K resolution can cause your console to work harder, resulting in louder fan noise as it tries to regulate the internal temperature and cool down the unit.
- Loose Screws & Debris: Another possible cause of loud fan noise is loose screws or debris that has entered the console through vents. If you hear a rattling noise, it’s important to investigate and locate the object that is causing the sound. This may require opening up the console and conducting a thorough inspection.
- Damaged fan: If you have a damaged fan with broken blades, it can cause your PS4 to produce loud noises. In this case, make sure to replace it with one that’s compatible with your PS4 to resolve the issue.
Related Article: What Is The Best Material That Absorbs Sound?
6 Ways To Fix PS4 Loud Fan
Now that we’ve gone through the main reasons why the PS4 fan is running loud, we’ll go through six ways how to fix PS4 loud fan. Let’s start!
1. See Where The Noise Comes From
The first step to fixing the problem is to determine where the noise comes from. There are a few possible reasons why your PS4 fan is noisy. Some are a broken console, a failing hard drive, or a malfunctioning cooling fan. Therefore, listen carefully to where the sound comes from to pinpoint the noise source.
If the noise emanates from the fan, you may notice that your console is overheating more frequently or even shutting down. On the other hand, rattling noises is usually the indicator of loose parts on your console, and you need to tighten them, while whining noises may point to a hard disk that is failing.
Once you have identified the noise source, you can take the necessary steps to fix the problem and restore your PS4 to optimal performance.
2. Place PS4 In A Vertical Position
One simple hack you can try is placing your PS4 upright. This can reduce heat problems together with noise and may even improve the overall performance of your console. It’s worth a shot if you’re looking for an easy fix.
If this doesn’t work, you may need to take a closer look at the interior of your console. This step means that you will need to open your PS4. It’s recommended that you seek professional help if you’re unsure about how to proceed.
Solving the noise problem inside your console could be the solution you need to get it running smoothly again. When solutions are available, don’t let the noise and heat issues ruin your gaming experience.
3. Put PS4 In A Well Ventilated Area
To maximize your PS4’s performance and extend its lifespan, it’s important to ensure that the PS4 is placed in a ventilated area. The console’s fan can become excessively loud if it overheats, which can potentially cause damage to its internal components. To prevent this from happening, it’s essential to provide enough space for the console to circulate air.
Make sure that the area surrounding the PS4 is clear of any obstructions and that it’s not placed in a closed space. Overheating can also occur if the console is exposed to direct sunlight, so keeping it in a shaded area is recommended.
If you’re an avid gamer and are concerned about your PS4’s temperature during extended play sessions, it might be worth getting a cooling stand to help regulate its temperature.
Here is a video that also explains why PlayStation fan noise is loud:
By taking the necessary steps to maintain your PS4’s temperature, you can ensure that it operates at its optimal level and remains in good condition for years to come. Remember, a well-ventilated and cool environment is key to keeping your PS4 running smoothly and quietly.
Related Article: Build a DIY Generator Soundproof Box: 9 Easy Steps
5. Turn Off PS4 Boost Mode
Boost Mode is an excellent feature that can be found on PS4 Pro. However, the downside of this feature is its loud noise. The Boost Mode enhances performance and can be turned off. This mode is usually active when using a console for 4K games.
To turn it off, follow these simple steps:
- Go to Settings -> Sound & Screen -> Audio Output Settings.
- Once you’re there, just turn off the “Output to Headphones” feature.”
- This simple trick can help reduce the noise level of your PS4 while playing games in Boost Mode.
5. Use Compressed Air On PS4
Another solution you can try is to consider using a can of compressed air. This way, you can clean out dust from your console that is causing problems. However, it’s important to use a can of compressed air that is designed for this purpose (small electronics), so you dont damage the PS4.
If cleaning the PS4 with compressed air doesn’t resolve the issue, there are other things that you can try. For example, if the PS4 console can’t read the disc, gently clean the disc by using a soft cloth. If this doesn’t work, you must replace the disc drive.
You can take your console to a local electronic store for repairs. Keep in mind that repairs may come at a cost. Taking care of your PS4 is important to keep it running smoothly, so don’t hesitate to take action if you notice any issues. By using compressed air and following these other steps, you can avoid costly repairs.
6. Clean PS4 Console From Inside
If you have decided on this procedure, here’s how you can do a deep clean of your PS4:
- Step 1: Find a suitable screwdriver, such as the T8 Trox, and remove the screws that are holding the casing of your PS4. For those who don’t have a Torx screwdriver, purchase one in the store.
- Step 2: After removing all screws on your PS4 console, carefully open it up, and look for the fan.
- Step 3: Now, clean the accumulated dust off the fan. This can be done by using a clean cloth or compressed air. It’s also a good idea to clean other dusty parts of your PS4 to improve its performance.
- Step 4: After you’re done, reassemble the console. All screws must be put back in place. Turn on the console and that’s it. Your PS4 should now work normally.
Note! Remember that if you open your PS4, you will lose the warranty. If your PS4 is still under warranty, it’s best to send it to Sony or a certified dealership for repairs.
Related Article: How Much Electricity (Power) Does a PS3 Use?
FAQ: People Also Ask
Is it normal for the PS4 to be loud?
No, loud noise could indicate a problem. There are two possible reasons for this: a build-up of dust inside the console or poor ventilation that forces the fan to work harder than usual. If your PS4 makes too much noise, it might be time to clean it.
Is It Possible To Quiet PS4 Without Taking It Apart?
Yes, use a vacuum cleaner with low suction power. Over time, dust accumulates inside the console, which can interfere with the centrifugal fan’s ability to cool the components properly. Removing this dust build-up can improve your PS4’s airflow and reduce its noise level without disassembly.
The PS4 may develop hardware issues over time, like any other electronic device. One of those issues is loud fan noise. It’s important to address this issue promptly because the fan is a crucial component of the console’s cooling system.
In this article, we have explained six ways to do this; where we went through every step and what you need to do. While you can always contact Sony Support Service if your console is under warranty, our guide offers simple solutions that you can try at home to fix the problem and reduce the fan noise on your PS4.