Today almost every kitchen has a mixer grinder. It is a necessary appliance that is used to grind grains, fruits and prepare cocktails, shakes, etc. Every mixer grinder comes with an electrical motor that has multiple tapped stator that is used for speed control. But, have you ever wondered how much power does this mixer grinder uses per day? You’ll be surprised! In this article, we’ll talk about power consumption and how you can calculate it. So, let’s start!
So How Much Power (Watts) Does a Mixer Grinder Use? Typically, a mixer grinder has a rated power between 500 watts to 1000 watts. The average household uses a mixer grinder for around 20 min daily, which is equal to 0.25 kWh of electricity. If we use a mixer for the entire month, this will be around 7.5 kWh, and it will cost $0,82 per month.
To find out exactly how much power does mixer grinder has check the label at the bottom of your device to find out its wattage. When we talk about the performance of the mixer grinder, we must talk about watts.
The more wattage the mixer has, the better the blade’s rotation per minute (RPM), which leads to higher speed and better efficiency. The power consumption of a mixer grinder usually depends on the model and the type of electrical motor it has.
Here are the power comparison of the most used mixer grinders in watts:
What Is The Rated Power Of Mixer Grinder?
Most mixer grinders come with a rated power that is between 500 W to 1,000 W. However, you will find that most kitchen mixers have a standard 500-watt model. They need a strong motor to grind hard food like coconut cereals. etc. Before we start talking about the power consumption of a mixer and rated power, you should understand the following terms:
- Wattage – This is the unit of power. Therefore, wattage represents the power that the mixer grinder uses. For example, a 500 W mixer grinder uses 500 watts per hour (Wh).
- Operating Time – A time that (number of hours) we used our mixer grinder. For example, if we used a mixer grinder for only 1 hour per day, this number is represented as 1.
- Electricity Price– This number is usually expressed in kWh, and it is determined by the electricity provider in the state where you live. For example, the average electricity price for 1 kWh in the United States is around 11 cents.
- Electrical Unit (kWH) – This is the power that some device consumes and it is measured in kilowatt-hour. For example, if we use a mixer grinder that has 500 W for 2 hours, will consume 1000 watt-hours which is equal to 1 kWh.
I hope that you are now familiar with basic things that you must understand in order to calculate the power consumption of your mixer grinder.
Mixer Grinder Motor RPM (Rotations Per Minute)
Mixer grinder RPM (Rotations Per Minute) is the number of turns that the mixer blade makes in one minute. Therefore, before buying a mixer grinder, be sure to check the RPM number of the device because it’s an important factor to consider.
This indicates the speed at which the mixer blade rotates per minute. The typical RPM for a mixer grinder that is used at home is between 18,000 to 23,000 RPM. However, care should be taken not to buy a mixer with more wattage (and RPM) than you actually need.
How To Calculate Power Consumption Of Mixer Grinder?
There are 2 ways how you can calculate the power consumption of some devices. The first is by using a mathematical formula, and the second way is by measuring the real power consumption by using an additional device.
Calculate Approximate Power Consumption Of Mixer Grinder
The calculations presented below are only the approximation that might have a 10% error. Keep in mind that most people usually use a mixer grinder for around 20 to 30 minutes a week, so you don’t need to worry much about power consumption and that it will affect your energy bill.
|Mixer Grinder Usage||Power Consumption (Wh)||kWh|
|Per hour||750 Wh||0.75 kWh|
|Per day||250 Wh||0.25 kWh|
|Per month||7,500 Wh||7.5 kWh|
|Per Year||90,000 Wh||90 kWh|
Example: If you use a mixer grinder every day for 30 minutes, the monthly power consumption will be around 8 kWh, which is around 80 cents per month (assuming that the average electricity price is 10 cents/kWh).
As we said, this would be some approximate value. However, if you want to know the exact power consumption of your mixer grinder, then you will need to measure it. The best and most accurate way to do this is to use a Kill A Watt meter.
Calculate Accurate Power Consumption Of Mixer Grinder
By using a Kill A Watt meter, you can easily measure the power consumption of any electrical device in your house, including a mixer grinder. If you don’t have one already, you can order it on Amazon at a very affordable price.
How to use a Kill A Watt meter?
The process is pretty simple. First, plug your device (kill a watt meter) into an electrical outlet, and connect your mixer grinder plug into it. Turn on kill a wat meter and start using your mixer. After you’re done, check how much electricity (kWh) was used on the device. It will show you the exact power that your mixer grinder uses. Some models will also display the price in dollars.
If you are still not sure how to use this device, then check this youtube video:
How Many Watts Does A Mixer Grinder Have?
The easiest way to find out the actual power that your device has is to look at the label located at the bottom of your mixer grinder. Keep in mind that the electrical rating of the mixer grinder will usually be expressed on the label in terms of Voltage (V), Amperage (A), or Watts (W).
You can use this simple formula to calculate the wattage of the mixer grinder:
The best way to calculate the power consumption of any electrical appliance (including mixer grinder) in kWh, you must know the following parameters:
- Mixer Capacity – Usually expressed in watts (W).
- Usage Time – The hours that the appliance was used in one day (h)
Mixer Grinder Wattage for Home Use
- Up to 500 Watts – This type of mixer grinder falls under the entry-level device that is ideal for normal usage. This is the perfect choice if you want to save on electricity and at the same time, you do not need strong power. Apart from saving energy, it is also a good choice because you will save money when purchasing.
- Between 500 Watts and 750 Watts – These mixer grinders are the most common models that you will find in kitchens. Apart from being quite popular, their power is enough to grind basic things such as cereals and the like. Therefore, if you are looking for a mixer that is able to make delicious chutneys or some vegetable soup, this is the range of power that you need to choose.
- Above 750 Watts – This type of mixer grinder falls under the heavy-duty level. This device can be used for commercial use like restaurants, hotels, etc. Therefore, if you opt to buy a powerful mixer that will be used to grind dry masalas, Haldi, or coconut, then this is the power range that you need to buy.
How Many Watts is Good For Mixer Grinder?
If you are one of those who wonder what is the appropriate wattage power for a mixer grinder, you’re not alone! For home use, it is normal to have a 500-watt mixer grinder. These devices in that power range do not consume much electricity and will not affect your energy bill.
However, if you have a higher budget, it’s best to buy a mixer grinder in a power range between 500 W and 750 W. You will easily take care of all your daily cooking needs without too much effort. If you are a professional and like to cook a lot, then a heavy-duty mixer grinder with more than 750 watts is the best choice for you.
If you want to learn more about the power consumption of some home devices, be sure to read How Much Power (kWh) Does a Garage Door Opener Use?
Mixer Grinder Power Saving Tips
Here are some saving tips that will help you reduce your energy bill:
- Grind only well-moistened food. For example, if you are grinding rice, the mixer will consume less power if the rice is already well-moistened. When grinding non-moisture rice the device consumes extra power, and the quality of mixer is lower.
- Use mixer at minimum speed. When you are using a mixer grinder at a low speed, the device will consume less energy. The motor will not require additional power and less voltage will be used.
- Pour some water. Adding water to the mixer bowl will increase the mixer running time, which means more work will be done in less time.
- Night time usage. By using your mixer grinder at night, you will save on your energy bill because the price of electricity is lower. However, this depends on the state where you live, so be sure to check.
We can say that the wattage of a mixer grinder is high, but the time that is used per day or week is very small and not frequent, which means that it will not affect your energy bill too much.
Mixer grinders are an integral part of every kitchen, so they can be considered a necessary tool in preparing some meals and desserts. Now that you are familiar with the power consumption of these devices, it is time to prepare a good shake for the end. Good luck!